Ever hear of the Berkeley Bubble? Well, the Berkeley Bubble perfectly describes the environment surrounding this wonderful yet extremely hard campus. It seems that us “Berkeley students” never leave Berkeley. Due to this, we know much too well the ins and outs of all things Berkeley. Even though the rest of the world has their own opinions about UC Berkeley students, read further to understand the 20 signs that one goes to UC Berkeley!!
1. During orientation my Cal Leader said don’t worry about getting to class on time because we live on “Berkeley Time!”
Huh? Even for a UC Berkeley student, it took me a little while to figure out what “Berkeley Time” meant. Inevitably, every class starts ten minutes after the designated start time. The funny truth about this is that most students are still late even with this late start. So don’t worry about those dreaded 8am classes because it technically doesn’t start till 8:10. Just kidding, you’ll still see students sprinting to their classes.
2. Artichokes is acceptable at any time of the day, but best at 1:00 am after a night out.
This place is everything and is worth every second waiting in line. One slice, two slices, three slices, there is no stopping a hungry student after a game day here at Artichokes.
3. Umbrellas, Birkenstocks, Books, Oh my!
Do you really attend UC Berkeley if you don’t own a pair of Birkenstocks that you have broken in from the eight miles you walk across campus each day? Do you really attend UC Berkeley if you don’t carry that umbrella with you even if the weather says a clear and sunny day? Do you really attend UC Berkeley if you don’t have your backpack full of books everyday?
4. Game days are the most perfect days.
No, we don’t study all day and everyday. There are plenty of exceptions for leaving the library here at UC Berkeley, and hands down the best ones are game days!!
5. Can I see your Bid?
We all know when we bring our friends to visit, we tell them we need to get them a Bid. They respond with “What’s a bid?” Although, to a UC Berkeley student who wants to party, a Bid is everything!
6. Whether it is a good day, a bad day, a sunny day, or a rainy day…YOGURT PARK is that one place that will put a smile on your face.
This was the first place I went on move in day and continues to be the hot spot on all other days. Here’s a tip…the Mini is definitely not Mini!! Therefore, order a small and you’ll be full for forever!
7. “Swiper no swiping!” Just kidding, we all want swipes for Crossroads!
Find a freshman and get that swipe for free food!! Plus late night meals are a beautiful thing!
8. Sometimes we see squirrels more than we see fellow students on this campus.
Don’t worry, they’re our friends. It even seems that they are more fascinated with our reading then even we are at times.
9. We question everyday if this degree is even worth it?
All nighters in the library! Projects! Papers! Midterms! Finals! Sometimes, it all seems as if it is too much to handle. The truth is, it is okay to be overwhelmed at times but we have to remember we are united as a school and we are all going through this pain together.
10. It’s normal to frantically look for your student ID on a daily basis to make sure that you have it everywhere you go. If not, you will not be getting into Moffitt Library any time soon.
Students know all too well that getting into Moffitt Library can be harder than almost anything. If you don’t have your ID…except the loss and go home.
11. Don’t leave the house without layers on. It could be 40 degrees and raining one hour and hot and sunny the next.
On an average, I leave the house for an 8am wearing my scarf, ski jacket, and shivering smile. Several hours later, I return home with sweat running down my face in a tank top while holding that winter gear in my hands.
12. When everyone around you has their life on track, their internship picked out, their grad school figured out, and their dream job planned out…
We all have those late nights applying for internships, those phone calls home to Mom that are lives are falling apart, and those endless days trying to make our Handshake and Linkedin profiles perfect.
13. Give yourself extra time when walking through Sproul to get to class because they will find you, they will talk to you, and they will get you.
Trust me, I have tried everything. Whether it’s pretending to talk on the phone or having my headphones in and eyes on the prize, the students will approach you. From here on out, you’re stuck. Smile and take the flyer.
14. MENTION STANFORD AND THERE WILL BE A PROBLEM
Our number one rival: Stanford! Anything having to do with them turns into something big. So big that during Big Game Week (Berkeley vs. Stanford) we light up Doe Memorial Library to show everyone our true colors.
15. Everyone says Hella
Even if you don’t say it yourself, try to make this word part of your vocabulary.
16. Everyone knows the hike to The Big C is the perfect place to see everything that is Berkeley and beyond.
This hike offers a beautiful wonder of Berkeley, the magical swing.
17. Needing a map to find all the libraries on campus. There’s over 25 of them!!
It is a beautiful thing to have this many libraries on campus. Each library has its own feel and mood. We all have that one library that matches us best. Personally, you’ll find me in Moffitt because it is “food friendly” and “acceptable to talk.”
18. If you’re lost and can spot the Campanile, you’re fine!
The Campanile is our north star. If you ever feel alone, just look up and you’ll see this beauty. If you can’t see it, make your way back to Berkeley fast!
19. Attempting to get a hold of Cal Student Central is close to impossible.
We all need help with things such as registration, financial aid, bCourses, and everything else having to do with being a student. The only issue is that it may take a little longer to get help than we would like because the phones are always busy and the lines are always too long.
20. No matter what, being a Cal Bear is everything!!
The light nights studying and the tears searching for an internship are all worth it when it comes to this amazing school. I think it is safe to say that every student here believes that this was the best decision they could have ever made. UC Berkeley brings together the most amazing people in the world and without it, we would all be lost. We are all proud to call ourselves Cal Bears. Forever and always, UC Berkeley is the place to be. GO BEARS OR GO HOME!!!
Featured Image source: Yelp.com, Facebook: BerkeleySquirrels,