All parents have those special quirks that can get on your last nerves but Asian parents definitely have unique antics that just can’t be compared. Here are just a few.
1. Bowing to adults is programmed in you that when the adult isn’t Asian you are confused how to greet them
It seems rude not to but just feels wrong.
2. Taking off your shoes whenever you enter a house
How does wearing shoes inside even make sense?!?
Even though you don’t think you’ll need them, you always do.
4. The proudest moment is when you find the best deal at a store
50% off slightly expired tuna cans? I’m there!
5. Parents always compare you to your friends on EVERYTHING
Jessica has a 5.0 AND plays 4 instruments. Why you no like Jessica?
6. You learned how to play piano or violin at a young age. No matter what.
7. Family parties have never ending questions about school, grades, and what you’ll do in the future (even though you’re only in junior high)
8. The food portions are always big enough to feed 10 people when only you and your parents are eating
Mom: We’re eating beef broth and rice.
Me: But we ate that the last 2 days.
Mom: Good, that means we only eat for 5 more days.
9. Inviting guests over to your house means extreme house makeover Asian edition
10. Bowing during the holidays is the easiest way to earn a few extra bucks
At the end of the day you probably have back pains from bowing and the stack of cash you got in your pocket. It’s worth it.
11. Your closet may be full of knock off brands that are of the highest quality
You wonder how your mom has the money to buy all these expensive brands until you see the Puma logo with the word “Tuna”.
12. Eating a meal without rice or side dishes was not allowed
There was never a Taco Tuesday.
13. The doctor, dentist, or any other specialist you go to your parents knew beforehand so you can get a special discount.
My cousin’s uncle’s friend’s brother is my orthodontist.
14. Even if you have pneumonia, you have to go to school
Your parents never missed a day of school so why should you?
15. They ask you how to say a word in English and then it turns into a raging fight
IT’S NOT “SKROL” IT’S “SQUIRREL”!!!!!!!
16. Taking the butter and bread appetizers at restaurants
If it’s free then why can’t I take ten??
17. Eating the weirdest (possibly disgusting) food
Yes. Those are chicken feet.
18. Adults always fight over who gets to pay for the bill
Just hide under the table when the tug of war starts and it will be over soon.
19. Always comparing America to the motherland
Dad: You know in Korea we had to walk over a mountain to get to school. And a river. And a rain forest.
Me: I KNOW DAD *SIGH*
20. Even though no one else can understand your parents’ accents and mannerisms, you wouldn’t change them for anything.
WE LOVE YOU GUYS.